Asian Ginger Chicken Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-6 hours
Serves: 6 – 10
- 6 - 7 cups water
- 8 - 10 chicken thighs, bone in, skin and excess fat removed
- 1 head garlic, top trimmed and discarded, root in tact
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 Spanish onion, quartered with root in tact
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh shitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, sliced
- 1 lb. (6) fresh baby bok choy, sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper, optional
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (may substitute fresh parsley)
- Asian chili paste
1. Place all ingredients into the cooking pot.
2. Using the SLOW COOK function, program the Rice Cooker to cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or LOW for 6 hours.
3. At any time after the Rice Cooker advances to the 4-hour KEEP WARM cycle, press the POWER button to turn the Rice Cooker OFF.
4. Strain soup. Cover and refrigerate broth to defat.
5. Remove and discard onion. Set aside cooked garlic head and chicken from soup. Remove carrots, mushrooms and bok choy. Allow to cool.
6. Remove and discard fat from cooled broth. Clean cooled chicken. Remove skin, bones, cartilage. Shred meat and add to broth. Squeeze cooked cloves into the broth. Add vegetables to broth.
7. Prepare rice or noodles to serve with soup, if desired.
8. Ladle soup with chicken and vegetables into bowls of rice or noodles and top with bean sprouts and cilantro. Serve with Asian chili paste on the side.